TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Acronyms used online.
yu2fa3 - 2014-12-10
In response to Re Acronyms used online. (Beth)

It's scary how many of them are about sex and drugs considering the ages involved.

Kids don't realise that things online can haunt them forever; I caught my niece posting pics of herself in her underwear on instagram, she's 13!!! I told my sister and she shut down the account immediately. I also made my niece watch the video on youtube about Amanda Todd, the Canadian teenager who ended up committing suicide over the bullying and humiliation she received after flashing on chat roulette. Powerful stuff, I show it to some of my teen classes in school when we're talking about social media.

Well done to you and your sister. Although our efforts these days to protect our children are laudable at best. There used be times, ,even bad times, when we could as a families maybe succeed in doing our own things and distancing ourselves from the mainstream. I should imagine even groups like the Jehovah' Witnesses find that almost impossible to do these days, what with the Internet and mobile telephones.

I do dislike certain habits on this forum of bandying around this Paedophile word. Some posters may have good intentions but they are over-the-top in associating that practice with teaching in China. And they almost normalise the behaviour with the rapidity they bring it to our intentions, and use it to discredit.

No, as far as our children are concerned, it's much down to sheer luck if they avoid all the nasty pitfalls.

Messages In This Thread
Acronyms used online. -- Robert -- 2014-12-09
Re Acronyms used online. -- Beth -- 2014-12-10
Re Acronyms used online. -- yu2fa3 -- 2014-12-10
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Acronyms used online.

Go to another board -