TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Can China tackle soaring cancer rates?
Beth - 2014-12-13

This was a massive worry to me during my time in China and a primary factor in my decision to return to Europe. I have a strong family history of breast cancer, it has so far taken the lives of my mother, an aunt and both grandmothers. I have been gene tested as was my mother and I have the mutation of the BRCA1 gene. For me it's a question of when, not if. In Europe I belonged to a screening program from the age of 23 whereby I get mammograms every 6 months. I was offered a preventative mastectomy in 2008, which I have so far declined. When I went to China, I was shocked to discover they had virtually no screening programs. I ended up paying through the nose for a yearly mammogram conducted by a doctor who blew acrid smoke over me fron the cigarette permanently attached to his lips throughout the procedure.

After 2 years in China, and in conjunction with my desire to get away from seedy tourist-teachers, I decided to return to Europe an get back in to a screening program.

In comparison, I have Ben in Spain for 6 months so far and my GP here put me in to a screening program the moment I mentioned the gene test result.

Unfortunately, China had a lot of catching up to do in regards to healthcare.

Messages In This Thread
Can China tackle soaring cancer rates? -- Max -- 2014-12-12
Re Can China tackle soaring cancer rates? -- Beth -- 2014-12-13
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Can China tackle soaring cancer rates?

Go to another board -