TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Or, I could... - Teachers discussion
Yingwen Laoshi - 2006-04-19
In response to Two options - Teachers discussion (frank andrews)

> I'm sure whatever I may write here will be taken as too general and
> sweeping by some, and too specific and finger pointing by others. But
> thats where we live in life, those general areas that define decency,
> and when we stray from there, fingers point at us.
> Japan is a racist society? Is that news?
> As a black guy, what do you do about that? Do you not teach there? Or
> do you take whatever job that may be offered to you, and convince
> them there's no point in being racist? Is there another option? Write
> articles for publication about the problem?
> Organise demonstrations? Petition organistions that support racism in Japan?

There's another option, which you hinted at yourself. I could put things in perspective, and realize racism exists everywhere, and just get on with it. That is my philosophy. I believe life is too short, to let discrimination or racism get in the way of enjoyment of life.

I was actually trying to defend Japan from a slur that I thought was much too sweeping, and untrue. I stated my reasons for doing so, quite clearly in my last post. Here's my point. From first-hand experience I believe that racism against non-whites in China is greatly exaggerated, and I suspect that this is the case too in Japan.

I'm agreeing with you to a certain extent Frank. I think some people are too negative on forums like this and blow things out of proportion, so putting off others from taking the opportunity of a good teaching experience in Asia.

Yes there is a degree of racism in China, but I don't find it any worse than what I found back home in my country of birth, England, and nor do I find that blacks are treated a great deal worse than whites, if at all. A non-white can enjoy as good a life as anybody here in Asia. Your treatment here doesn't depend primarily on your skin colour or race, it depends on your attitude and the way you carry yourself.

> Asia is such a tough place for any non-white to teach, or to work, or
> to live, or to socialize, in any field. Will it ever get better?
> Probably not any time soon, would be my guess, considering world
> history.

I still believe the difference in difficulty for whites, or non-whites is minimal. BOTH groups find it tough at times. At the same time life is enjoyable here too.

> If anybody ever finds a place to live--other than the arctic
> regions--that doesn't have roaches, rats, racism, violence, disease,
> deception, dishonesty, war, let the rest of us know.

I'm with you on this one Frank, but just because roaches and rats can be found world-wide it doesn't mean that I or anybody else has to accept accommodation that is substandard or infested with such. If some people are happy living amongst vermin, power to them, but I will never accept it, wherever I work.

By all means let's tell our fellow FTs of the good AND bad out here so that they can come as prepared as possible, but let's not exaggerate and blow things out of proportion to the point of scaring people out of the enjoyment of teaching in Asia, whatever their colour or background!

Messages In This Thread
What's the point? - Teachers discussion -- frank andrews -- 2006-04-17
I Feel it is Relevant! - Teachers discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-04-18
Two options - Teachers discussion -- frank andrews -- 2006-04-18
Or, I could... - Teachers discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-04-19
Well said. - Teachers discussion -- frank andrews -- 2006-04-19
Here's the point! - Teachers discussion -- Hemingway -- 2006-04-18
Why the defense? - Teachers discussion -- Raoul Duke D.U.I., B.L.T., L.S.D., RUN.DMC -- 2006-04-18
I'm out. You can have it all. -- Rheno747 -- 2006-04-19
I'm with you. - Teachers discussion -- frank andrews -- 2006-04-19
I may be here another year...... - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-04-19
Reasons to Be - Teachers discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-04-19
Reno and Frank: You'll Feel better - Teachers discussion -- Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. -- 2006-04-22
I was wrong about my real role, ultimately - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-04-22
Think globally, act locally...... - Teachers discussion -- frank andrews -- 2006-04-22
Reno Join em. That's my suggestion. - Teachers discussion -- Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. -- 2006-04-22
Nice observations. I've seen this myself. - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-04-23
I forgot to mention..... - Teachers discussion -- frank andrews -- 2006-04-18
So what? - Teachers discussion -- Ted Hamill -- 2006-04-18
What are you replying to? - Teachers discussion -- frank andrews -- 2006-04-18
Kind of like comparing apples to oranges. - Teachers discussion -- Ted Hamill -- 2006-04-19
i think you're absolutely right - Teachers discussion -- vince -- 2006-04-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Or, I could... - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -