TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Good and Bad - Teachers discussion
Carlos - 2006-04-20

I worked at LIngo school around 1997. I finished my contract and got my bonus. I think the other poster is a bit nuts to say the least. There are two types of language schools in Japan -- national chains, like Nova and Geos, and the small local schools. Lingo school is a small school. The president, a female, has been teaching English for a long long time in Takamatsu. She has two problems though; she isn't very good at managing people, and she is very un-organized. That said, I never had an issue with money. I was paid on time, and received what was promised.

Because teachers never stay for more than a year though, Lingo School suffers from a lack of a curriculum. Without that, new teachers are "re-inventing" the wheel each time. For some people, no problem, but for many, they get lost and frustrated. Also without a curriculum, it is hard to judge the students progress, and your own. Thus teacher performance can't really be measured. This leads to problems with the president in my opinion.

The president also works her Japanese staff hard (most Eikaiwas do), and they also seem to rotate alot -- adding to the sense of dis-organization.

As for Takamatsu, it is a wonderful city. If you have friends and hobbies outside of work, you'll enjoy it and finish your contract.

Also, when you come to Japan, you must leave your culture behind. Don't try to be "direct" in your dealings. Remember, you're in a different culture. So even though the staff and president speak English, they are still Japanese. If you are a professional, you'll know that being flexible to the local culture will help you. (Makes it smoother.)

The students are mostly really nice, though be ready to teach really little kids. If you hate kids, forget it.

Summary: Lingo school is a CATCH-22. The president has been burned by many foreigners coming to Japan on the VISA she arranges, then splitting on her. Or doing the job for a few months, and then leaving. That has made her paranoid. Thus, her personality can sometimes be extreme, and tick off foreigners. And the cycle repeats again and again. If you're a couple, then you stand a better chance at being happy at Lingo school. Last but not least, ALL schools have horror stories. Bottomline, teaching English for $$ in Japan is a fairly easy job. But you have to be professional to some extent. ie. Things not always go your way, don't cry like a spoiled college graduate. Realize the culture is vastly different, deal with it, and complete your contract. Good luck with your job hunting.

Messages In This Thread
Good and Bad - Teachers discussion -- Carlos -- 2006-04-20
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Good and Bad - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -