TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Ups and Downs of Teaching in China
DoS - 2004-06-13
In response to Ups and Downs of Teaching in China (Tony)

Tony,

Whilst I don't deny there is truth in your post, I do think you are concentrating very much on the negative side. I also don't think that the Chinese are as bad as you make them out to be. They are no worse than most people in the west, though possibly less well educated.

Yes, private schools can be bad, but I have worked for two now, in the two years I have been here, and there were okay. This one is much better than my last one, partly because I was far better prepared than I was last time. Hey, you have to look on it as a learning experience.

Some advice for newbies: You *need* to clarify matters upfront. You need to ensure you will be working at a school allowed to employ foreigners and that you will be given a Z class visa. You must make it clear that you expect to have that visa, and the school must not hold onto that, or your passport. You have to emphasise how important getting paid on time is to a foreigner. (In China it isn't a really big deal if you get paid a week late, and they often don't understand that). You need to specify that you have the right to say no to a class unless they give you 24 hours notice. You need to read the contract carefully and add these points to it. You MUST make it clear that if they **ck you around you will walk! There are lots of places out there looking for teachers. Finding another post is not hard.

Okay, assuming you do that, then you can relax to a degree. It is all in your attitude, and remember, you are in their country. I assume you travelled to experience other cultures, so here it is. Coming here with your eyes open should be a given.

"If you don't like it go to Russia." - Homer J Simpson.

Messages In This Thread
Ups and Downs of Teaching in China -- Tony -- 2004-06-12
Re: Ups and Downs of Teaching in China -- DoS -- 2004-06-13
Re: Ups and Downs of Teaching in China - DOS -- Tony -- 2004-06-13
Re: Ups and Downs of Teaching in China - DOS -- DoS -- 2004-06-14
Re: Ups and Downs of Teaching in China -- boots43 -- 2004-06-12
Re: Ups and Downs of Teaching in China -- Tony -- 2004-06-13
Re: Ups and Downs of Teaching in China -- boots43 -- 2004-06-13
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Ups and Downs of Teaching in China

Go to another board -