TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: How hard is it for a Chinese Canadian to get a teaching job in Korea?
Robin - 2004-07-28

Alec,

I do the hiring for a university here in Seoul. Most hagwon do want "white" teachers. This is a business here after all; they want to give their customers what they THINK they want. At the university level, however, when hiring is not done by Koreans, the teachers' training and experience are more important. True, they still want native speakers, but I will hire the best candidate who meets the highest requirements. At my school, the minimum requirement is a native speaker with a CELTA certificate. I would rather hire MATESOL holders, but my public university can't pay what they are worth. I decided who makes the cut and who doesn't.

If you are interested in an ESL/EFL career, start by getting a CELTA certificate. This is a 190-hour, 2 million won program. I recommend you get a job and come over a month early to do the program. Hagwon go all year round, so you won't have time to do it if you are working. A CELTA certificate is recognized worldwide and will get you in the door anywhere they don't require an MATESOL. Work at the hagwon for 2 years. In your second year, start applying at universities.

Good luck!

Messages In This Thread
How hard is it for a Chinese Canadian to get a teaching job in Korea? -- Alec Ng -- 2004-07-22
Re: How hard is it for a Chinese Canadian to get a teaching job in Korea? -- Chunping Alex Wu -- 2004-07-22
Re: How hard is it for a Chinese Canadian to get a teaching job in Korea? -- Victim Extreme -- 2004-07-23
Re: How hard is it for a Chinese Canadian to get a teaching job in Korea? -- Robin -- 2004-07-28
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: How hard is it for a Chinese Canadian to get a teaching job in Korea?

Go to another board -