TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Eddie -- Teacher in Hainan - 2004-10-12
In response to Advice Please. (annerob)

> Contiuing on from the unanswered challenge from Arrogant One, and the
> immature ravings of both him and XI, I repeat the request. Can
> anybody out there respond with just 5 ( one will be a help )
> reliable, trustworthy Agencies or schools where we can start our ESL
> life.
> Its a minefleld out there, but with all the experience you have,
> surely someone can point us in the right direction. E mails will be
> welcome.
> We are a mature Australian couple with a life long desire to meet the
> people of China. We will be ready to start work in February, 2005.
> Can someone advise us about CTTR ?.

Who in their right mind would want to paint a bulls eye on the chest and say, Im an agent? Agencies stay clear of forums not for fear but because its a useless battle. Peoples mind are already made up and even God cant convince them of any thing different. Therefore, most of agencies let you all rediscover the wheel.

Even if you are a legitimate placement service people are going to shoot arrows no matter what. Every incoming teacher wants something for free with no accountability that would expose their common inabilities to adjust to culture, customs, living in a foreign land, and working in developing country. Some of the worst teachers in China are English teachers themselves. Some of the best are those who majored in other fields like history or elementary education. Some teachers are bound by Western classroom traditions instead of readjusting their teaching methods to reach students who are shy and too embarrassed to speak.

However, for the sake of argument, I will let you guys shoot some arrows.

If you go to http://china-tesol.com/Approved_Agents/approved_agents.html you will find the list of all the APPROVED agencies in China. My association, the IEEA, is listed there and we enjoy a wonderful record here in Hainan Province. Visit two online photo albums: http://members9.clubphoto.com/eddie466575/2727044/guest.phtml
http://members9.clubphoto.com/eddie466575/1916667/guest.phtml

Most of the complaints about agencies are due to teachers using the fly by night agencies that do nothing but take your money. They give all agencies a bad rap and many ESL teachers are guilty of lumping all agencies in barrel. I hate them myself and I know that they sell you to the highest bidder and then abandon you. Even I would like to catch them in some dark alley one night and put a good southern whipping on them.

The funny thing is that teachers who do come in independently will still complain about schools, salary, China and living conditions, etc. Did an agent do this to him? No! He did it to himself yet no independent teacher ever says, Hey look at what I did to myself. He will still blame others for his lack of understanding China.

Ive lived in China since 1993. Ive seen more than my fair share of teachers who were nothing but throwbacks from Western countries. Not only could they not survive in China but also they couldnt survive back home either. Many times they are the biggest grippers and complainers you will find on forums.

In these forums there are a FEW teachers you could probably trust and theyve given good advice. The Arrogant One seems to be on top of things. DOS and ESL in Asia seem to have a grasp of China or Asia. Others Im not so sure. Be careful in whom you listen to and what you believe. The forums are full of misdirection and info.

Fellow teacher in Hainan, Eddie
www.hainan.motime.com

Messages In This Thread
Advice Please. -- annerob -- 2004-10-06
Agencies -- Eddie -- Teacher in Hainan -- 2004-10-12
More Self-Justification from Eddie -- Laowai -- 2004-10-13
You don't need an agent -- expat -- 2004-10-06
huh? -- me -- 2004-10-06
Sorry about that, Sport! Now back to business... -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-10-06

Go to another board -