Learn to TEACH English with TECHNOLOGY. Free course for American TESOL students.

TESOL certification course online recognized by TESL Canada & ACTDEC UK.

Visit Driven Coffee Fundraising for unique school fundraising ideas.

Texas ISD School Guide
Texas ISD School Guide

Travel, Teach, Live in Korea

How to Teach English in Korea

Moving to Korea to teach English offers English-speakers from all walks of life a chance to experience a completely new culture while getting paid to do it. Moving to a new country, especially one as far as South Korea, presents a challenge, so here are a few steps that will help you along the way.

Find an English teaching institute of some sort, preferably before you arrive in Korea. The most common types of English teaching centers (and generally the highest paying) are dedicated English institutes called "hakwons" in Korean. However, you can also look at Korean universities, private business programs and even government agencies for possibilities to teach English.

Check the conditions of your employment before you sign up, since your employer will most likely be your visa sponsor, providing you with the justification for your being in Korea. Salaries between 1 and 2 million won per month (which is roughly between $1,000 and $2,000) are standard. Better programs also offer you housing.

Secure your Korean visa before you move to Korea by applying for a tourist visa that you can later transfer to a work visa once you have your sponsorship documents from your English teaching institute. Alternatively, you can come in on an E-2 visa (conversation instructor visa), an E-1 visa (university professor) or an E-5 visa (employment with a PR firm). In all cases, make lots of copies of all documents needed for the visa and bring them to Korea.

Be aware that your oral contract is just as important as, and sometimes more important than, your written contract, which is seen more as an unofficial, working document in Korea. So while you should be sure to get everything in writing, you also need to hold your employer to the terms of your verbal agreement.

Go to another board -