TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re The SENIOR high school students who hate studying English!
foxy - 2018-03-29

Hi foxy, Please open the attachment, where you can find my photo. Can you recall me? Haha Wish you good health!

Yes, I remember you. You are still as good-looking as you were back in the day! How could I forget you! But I had forgotten your English name. My memory is not so good these days.

Many thanks for your best wishes regarding my well-being.

Now I will talk about teaching:

In the west. there are prescribed textbooks to be used by teachers in middle schools. The trouble is the material is too hard for many students!

In the UK, students must study a foreign language for 2 years. Those who hate it can drop the subject after 2 years, and many do so!

In the USA, students must pass tests at the end of each module of study in order to be allowed to move on to the next module. Each module lasts for about 1/2 a semester. They are called SATs. You must have passed a minimum of a fixed number of SATs or else you can't graduate from middle school. Only senior high (senior middle) school graduates can apply to colleges and universities for diploma/degree courses.

But mature adults in the west can study at colleges/universities with lower entry qualifications. Such adults are presumed serious re their studies, unlike some recent happy-go-lucky senior high school graduates. Senior high school graduates without any qualifications in a foreign language can get college/university places quite easily.

Canada has a system similar to America. Australia and New Zealand more or less follow what the UK does.

Dull students will study in small classes, sometimes with a teaching assistant and a teacher present. But I doubt the presence of a teaching assistant for students with learning difficulties will be of much use, and I think it's a waste of taxpayers' money!

Few UK students study Chinese. America has more students of Chinese. Canada has more too, but fewer than America. Surprisingly, Australia and New Zealand do not have many such students despite being relatively close geographically to China.

My suggestion for teaching low achievers. During each lesson, show them some internet photos relevant to the module you are teaching. Try to break the lesson up a bit to make it less boring. Some variety, in other words. Encourage the students to write very simple sentences about a photo or two and then ask a student to read his/her sentences aloud.

Best wishes,

foxy.

Messages In This Thread
The junior high school students who hate studying English! -- foxy -- 2018-03-29
Re The SENIOR high school students who hate studying English! -- foxy -- 2018-03-29
Re The SENIOR high school students who hate studying English! -- Silverboy -- 2018-03-29
Re The SENIOR high school students who hate studying English! -- caring -- 2018-03-29
Re The SENIOR high school students who hate studying English! -- Silverboy -- 2018-03-29
Re The SENIOR high school students who hate studying English! -- caring -- 2018-03-29
Re The SENIOR high school students who hate studying English! -- John O'Shei -- 2018-03-29
Re The SENIOR high school students who hate studying English! -- Easy Rider -- 2018-03-29
Re The SENIOR high school students who hate studying English! -- Easy Rider -- 2018-03-29
Re The SENIOR high school students who hate studying English! -- foxy -- 2018-03-29
Re: Re The SENIOR high school students who hate studying English! -- BeenThere -- 2018-03-29
Re: Re The SENIOR high school students who hate studying English! -- Silverboy -- 2018-03-29
Re The SENIOR high school students who hate studying English! -- Reilly -- 2018-03-29
Re The SENIOR high school students who hate studying English! -- John O'Shei -- 2018-03-29
Re The SENIOR high school students who hate studying English! -- Dragonized -- 2018-03-29
Re The SENIOR high school students who hate studying English! -- Dragonized -- 2018-03-29
Re The SENIOR high school students who hate studying English! -- Flower Power -- 2018-03-29
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re The SENIOR high school students who hate studying English!

Go to another board -