TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: DO YOU NEED QUALIFIED ENGLISH TEAC HERS? CONTACT ME
Karen - 2004-06-26

Hi Anne,

from korea. I don't know much about the Chinese edu system or what your schools req to hire English teachers. I've been running a school for 8 years now. The excuse I keep getting here for the continue raise on price of a working visa for English teachers. (Teaching Visas in Korea are pay by the school/employer) Our gov. says that, we are swamp by E. teachers without teaching visas, drunk, drugs, more...... Well, I'm not replying to you here to talk about that. I hope we have the chance over here to hire English teachers from other nationalities than the passports allowed right now. E.G. I applied last month to bring a Philipino-Canadian female teacher (U degree also from Canada). Application was rejected because she is only permanent resident of Canada. Of course I was very upset. After a long... month searching, our new teacher will arrive soon from Canada. I went through atleast 50 resumes and a dozen of interviews from esl teachers already in Korea and I did not like the choices. The more choices/nationalities the better. I could tell who I can trust and speaks English well for my students, my responsability as an owner.

best,

Karen S.

> With all due respect, I'm a fourth year student in China and will be
> graduating in a week time. I'm not being critical but just stating
> the truth.
> Our university previously engaged a Cameroonian teacher and his
> pronunciation is terribly horrific. Believe me, we could not
> understand his English and he is not as efficient as he is supposed
> to be. I wouldn't know what lies ahead for other Chinese students, if
> they were to get teachers like him. I know there are many good
> Cameroonian teachers but I have friends from other university having
> the same problems like mine.

> Here are some examples of his pronunciation.

> "Patient" pronounce as ="par sion"
> "ready" pronounce as = "ra dy"
> "Batteries" pronounce as "But terries".
> "Cake" pronounce as "Gakes"
> "Fairy" pronounce as "Farry"

> Like I said, I'm not here to criticize. We have had British,
> Canadians, Singapore and Australians teachers before. They do speak
> Standard English, not much I can say for the Australian but he is
> still good.

> In any case, good luck to you and your teachers. Anyway, our
> university has decided against hiring any more Africans. Once bitten
> twice shy.

Messages In This Thread
DO YOU NEED QUALIFIED ENGLISH TEAC HERS? CONTACT ME -- Peter Njodzeka -- 2004-06-25
Re: DO YOU NEED QUALIFIED ENGLISH TEAC HERS? CONTACT ME -- Anne Wang -- 2004-06-26
Re: DO YOU NEED QUALIFIED ENGLISH TEAC HERS? CONTACT ME -- PETER NJODZEKA -- 2004-06-29
Re: DO YOU NEED QUALIFIED ENGLISH TEAC HERS? CONTACT ME -- boots43 -- 2004-06-29
Re: DO YOU NEED QUALIFIED ENGLISH TEAC HERS? CONTACT ME -- Alan -- 2004-06-27
Re: DO YOU NEED QUALIFIED ENGLISH TEAC HERS? CONTACT ME -- Anne Wang -- 2004-06-27
Re: DO YOU NEED QUALIFIED ENGLISH TEAC HERS? CONTACT ME -- Sam Lee -- 2004-06-27
Re: DO YOU NEED QUALIFIED ENGLISH TEAC HERS? CONTACT ME -- boots43 -- 2004-06-27
Re: DO YOU NEED QUALIFIED ENGLISH TEAC HERS? CONTACT ME -- Karen -- 2004-06-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: DO YOU NEED QUALIFIED ENGLISH TEAC HERS? CONTACT ME

Go to another board -