TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › ADVANCED AGE IN THE EFL WORLD ... BOON or BARRIER?
Ellis E. Seamone - 2004-07-18

Having been "between jobs" on far too many occasions in the recent past has gotten me to wonder about things such as my presentation, my possible lack of concentration, job neglect, sudden change of personality ... or even bad breath! Following an intensive investigation, I can happily report that it's neither of the above. Quite to the contrary, my desire to teach has done nothing but increase over my 13+ years of participation in the ESL industry. Therefore, these temporary periods of inactivity seem attributable to my getting older (I am now 67). Yes, I am well aware of the fact that many of my fellow-veterans of teaching are gainfully employed, in many cases on jobs which they have managed to hold onto for many years. But, what I have learned from many other colleagues is that, during these times, it has been more and more difficult to get placed in new situations... particularly here in the USA. Ergo, many of us have had no other choice but to consider positions in Asia -- mainly in the People's Republic of China, where age and variety of experience are regarded as nothing less than valuable to any ESL operation. I have absolutely nothing against teaching abroad -- having already lived and worked in Japan and Brazil -- but, as one grows older, he/she, as a senior citizen, has an increasing need for medical coverage, prescribed medications, etc. which are next to impossible to obtain in places such as the PRC. But even if it were possible, the cost of such "luxuries" would be much too inflated to be satisfied by a teacher's average monthly wage of $450-600. Therefore, the alternative of most "senior" instructors is to stay here in the USA to face the growing uncertainty of employment. One can only reach the conclusion that the powers that be in the US language business are more than somewhat apathetic in facing this problem, thereby making the ESL industry in the United States appear as nothing less than a young person's pursuit! Now, I don't wish to appear paranoid in my observation, but idly sitting here has created some mighty strange suspicions. In any event, I'd like to know if any of you out there have had the same feelings. In the interim, thanks for your attention.

Messages In This Thread
ADVANCED AGE IN THE EFL WORLD ... BOON or BARRIER? -- Ellis E. Seamone -- 2004-07-18
Re: ADVANCED AGE IN THE EFL WORLD ... BOON or BARRIER? -- JackB -- 2004-08-07
Re: ADVANCED AGE IN THE EFL WORLD ... BOON or BARRIER? -- Bill Jacot -- 2004-07-23
Re: ADVANCED AGE IN THE EFL WORLD ... BOON or BARRIER? -- Mary Denver -- 2004-07-22
Re: ADVANCED AGE IN THE EFL WORLD ... BOON or BARRIER? -- andrew -- 2004-08-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › ADVANCED AGE IN THE EFL WORLD ... BOON or BARRIER?

Go to another board -