TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: ADVANCED AGE IN THE EFL WORLD ... BOON or BARRIER?
JackB - 2004-08-07
In response to ADVANCED AGE IN THE EFL WORLD ... BOON or BARRIER? (Ellis E. Seamone)

I read your message in this forum and the one you posted in the ESL articles for teacher section over and over because I simply couldn't
believe what I was reading.

You say you have been teaching English for 13 years and are now 67, that means you began at age 54 and during that period you taught for a time in Japan (Nova or Geos I imagine, since no English language school other than
a handful of the large chain schools would EVER hire anyone that old.)

Have you not heard of the "over 40 rule?"

If you actually taught in Japan, I'm amazed at your innocence. I thought everyone in the ESL/EFL games was aware by now that it's a rare school anywhere in the world including the U.S. that gives a tinker's damn about whether its students learn anything -- just as long as they pay their fees up front and buy lots of expensive books. That's particularly true in Japan and Korea

As your article suggests, EFL students want young, good looking teachers they can relate to, not serious, experienced ones who can actually help them inprove their English. English Language Schools, with a few notable exceptions, give top priority to their bottom line -- just like any other business would. And that means giving the customer what he wants.

And your third point is perhaps the most insidious of all. Older, experienced teachers tend to be much less easy to exploit and might actually expect to be paid a wage that reflects the real value of their skill and experience. Perish the thought.

You want satisfaction from the teaching experience? Find a volunteer teaching job. I may not get paid for all my hard work in money but I have a class of highly motivated students who work very hard to improve their English - and succeed Students who demonstrate in totally unexpected ways that they recognize and appreciate the help their receiving. And I am willing to bet there are hundreds of volunteers out there who know exactly what I mean and who feel the same.

Jack

Messages In This Thread
ADVANCED AGE IN THE EFL WORLD ... BOON or BARRIER? -- Ellis E. Seamone -- 2004-07-18
Re: ADVANCED AGE IN THE EFL WORLD ... BOON or BARRIER? -- JackB -- 2004-08-07
Re: ADVANCED AGE IN THE EFL WORLD ... BOON or BARRIER? -- Bill Jacot -- 2004-07-23
Re: ADVANCED AGE IN THE EFL WORLD ... BOON or BARRIER? -- Mary Denver -- 2004-07-22
Re: ADVANCED AGE IN THE EFL WORLD ... BOON or BARRIER? -- andrew -- 2004-08-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: ADVANCED AGE IN THE EFL WORLD ... BOON or BARRIER?

Go to another board -