TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Am I The Only Teacher Who Feels This Way?
Elizabeth - 2004-09-15
In response to Am I The Only Teacher Who Feels This Way? (Michael Mooney)

Hello, How discouraged you sound. Please don't despair.

What age level are you teaching? If you are looking for lively discussions with lots of feedback, may I suggest teaching university level English majors. I am in such a position and I love it. They are focused, energetic (most of the time) and I get a real kick out of their half-baked notions about the US (where I'm from) but these lead to some terrific discussions.
Since they are older I can enjoy playing ping pong, badminton, shopping for CD's, etc. with them after class. I'm definitely a mother figure to them so that helps with the overall issue of respect. But I am by far no gray haired granny! They took me rollerskating and I blew the doors off the place.
I set the bar high and they know it. I am their teacher, not their best buddy, but they have come to trust me.
Each day I take roll call by having the students respond to an answer to a sentence I right on the board. I enlist my class monitor for this activity who checks off each name. Actually, I consider them my TA. So, no one tries to cheat on attendance. The first year I taught, I had heard of this ruse and took digital photos of all of my students. I had them write whatever name they wished me to call them (Chinese or English) on the chalkboard and I photographed them next to their name! I would bring my laptop with the photo files to class in case I suspected foul play! But the kids were savvy enough to realize I had out-foxed them. (at least in this regard!)

Guilt works at this age level as I am quick to remind them of the incredible financial sacrifices their parents are making in order for them to continue their studies. However, I am a firm believer in the power of positive reinforcement. I spend much more time praising those that actively take part in class. But I don't have a problem with writing on the chalkboard the names of those students who have failed to turn in an assignment etc. No one likes to be set apart from the rest of the class as an underachiever.

Unresponsive students are the bane of ESL teachers here, I'm curious what other teachers do?
Perhaps, if you would tell us what grade level you teach we could be more helpful by offering some practical solutions.

Do I always leap out of bed every morning eager to face another day in class? Oh h*** no. But I have found a good age level for me to teach. I could not imagine teaching elementary or secondary level students or even university level non-English majors. Others, wouldn't trade working with those youngsters for the world.

Well,I hope I have been of some small help to you, my fellow teacher. Stay in touch!

Best regards,

Elizabeth Kiderlen

> Am I The Only Teacher Who Feels This Way?

> I've been teaching now in the PRC for a year and change and have a
> confession to make, and, as there are no Roman Catholic priests
> around, figured I'd unload here.

> Alright. Here goes.

> I don't always love my job.

> Every time I try to bring up how teaching is going with teachers
> (who, despite my negative outlook, I hold in high regard), I hear
> things like 'super', 'excellent', 'having a blast', and 'brilliant'
> (from the British teachers).

> At that time, I'm ashamed to say what I feel, which, if I were to be
> entirely honestly, would often go something like this:

> "Tried to make some jokes. Some kids laughed, mostly out of
> pity. The activity I planned didn't work. Found out halfway through
> class only three kids understood me. Wasted 15 minutes trying to find
> out which five kids whose names where on my attendance register
> actually weren't in class. Wanted to end 10 minutes early, but felt
> guilty so played impromptu game of 'Pictionary'".

> After two years and lots of effort, these feelings have waned a bit.
> But, I suspect that these sentiments are underrepresented in everyday
> conversation.

> Thanks for your time. I think I feel better now.

> Michael M.
> Guilty English Teacher

Messages In This Thread
Am I The Only Teacher Who Feels This Way? -- Michael Mooney -- 2004-09-15
It ain't China's fault -- xi -- 2004-09-16
Re: It ain't China's fault -- me -- 2004-09-21
Re: It ain't China's fault -- Miss Tick -- 2004-09-16
Re: It ain't China's fault -- xi -- 2004-09-16
Re: It ain't China's fault ... It's Xi's! -- Arrogant Teacher -- 2004-09-16
Movie -- Incheon -- 2004-09-17
Re: Movie -- Arrogant Teacher -- 2004-09-17
Re: It ain't China's fault -- Miss Tick -- 2004-09-16
Re: Am I The Only Teacher Who Feels This Way? -- Maitu Senseworth -- 2004-09-16
Re: Am I The Only Teacher Who Feels This Way? -- Michael Mooney -- 2004-09-16
why not leave that school -- joe -- 2004-09-16
Re: Am I The Only Teacher Who Feels This Way? -- Elizabeth -- 2004-09-15
Enjoy pleasure with your teaching -- joe -- 2004-09-16
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Am I The Only Teacher Who Feels This Way?

Go to another board -