TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS
ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-09-23
In response to UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS (GREEN HILLS SCHOOL OF ENGLISH)

Ah, you mean your business is failing? You mean that paying 500 USD a month and accepting a white face isnt getting you anywhere? You have high teacher turnover? Hiring 22 year olds fresh out of college that still have the binge drinking habit not considered in your business plan?

Well, guess what, you better learn about being a good businessman/woman before you open a school in a sea of a million other ESL enterprises just because you thought is was going to be easy money with little investment. Try running any business with the apparent business plans of many yahoos out there andguess whathigh teacher turnover and poorly satisfied students.

I will say this to you like I will say to the complaining teachers, its a business and the students are clients. On your end, you have to screen teachers better and look for better certification standards. For example, I would only recommend the Trinity College cert-TESOL or the CELTA. Why, because even though they are a month long, its backed by the British Council and audited by Trinity and Oxford, respectively, in the UK.

Lastly, when I taught in Europe, I had to give a demo lesson before I could even start. You would be surprised that many university graduates couldnt find a transitive verb with both hands and a neon sign pointing to it. So, Id recommend a grammar test, a sample lesson plan and watch them teach that lesson. Keep track of points like setting the scene, pair-work and lesson feedback. Also, watch the time and see if it conforms to the lesson plan. Thats how you weed the losers out.

But, as I suspect, like many Asian schools, you just want a white face, young, blond monkey to entertain the class. In fact, Ive seen many ads requiring previous music and acting experience for jobs in Japan, The Arrogant One may advise on this one.

Also, you get what you pay for. If youre cheap with teachers, why shouldnt they hit the exitstage left. Before you open a business, have a good business plan first!!!

Messages In This Thread
UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- GREEN HILLS SCHOOL OF ENGLISH -- 2004-09-22
Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- Pro sensei Tokyo -- 2004-09-23
Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- GREEN HILLS SCHOOL OF ENGLISH -- 2004-09-23
Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-09-23
Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- Dos -- 2004-09-23