TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS
ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-09-25
In response to Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS (Maitu)

Yes, The Arrogant One and I buried the pickaxe because he leveled with me. Unlike you, who seem to keep this pretense going.

Seriously, not trying to be as pedantic as you, but in some parts of the ESL world, a man could get a good kicking for saying british; I do believe thats a proper noun. Yes, I guess being from Corby, Northants, wouldnt make you British. Sorry, I shouldnt be too hard on your steelworkers upbringing. Indeed, the couple of courses you took at the Open University almost fooled me.

In fact, for a minute, I thought your cushy job story had veracity. But then I realized, as James Joyce once said: The actions of men are the best interpreters of their thoughts. And from the actions of your keyboard, your thoughts are as transparent as those empty pint glasses in your once booming steel town.

Now I dont want to hurt your pride and reveal your delusions of grandeur. As your favourite poet once said: A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of doubtful sanity. I believe you fit into that category; however, I must agree with one of your points. Your stunningly trite revelation of a literacy deficit in North America compared to Irelandok..and Scotlandall right..and Britain are indeed quite superior to the Hollywood Americans. Not to blow another hole in you so big Fergie could walk through it, but how can you ride the accolades of noble men far more superior than a former steelworker? Prey, tell me.

Are we to be impressed that you live in a third world country with a free bungalow in that grass hut where you teach? Yes, with out any disrespect to Africa or China, many people can live well compared to the poor locals. In fact, I'm sure you normalized your salary to make it comparable to that of your bogus U.S statistics. Let's seea loaf of bread here costs .25 cents therefore its like $2.50 with the factor of 10 considered. I make $5.00 and hourthatsthats damnthats like $50 an hour!!! Wow, Im much better off than back home on the dole!! Yes, I guess that makes one a real professional ay McAngus? But then I realized that compared to your home, it may very well be a luxury job. Do you have running water there..no, not in Africa, I mean where you came from?

Well, since you have a high paying job in Uganda to hurry back to, I dont want to make this too long, since the Internet caf may hit your budget too much. Oh, and please dont call me comrade, McAngus. And I do like Bill Bryson's book about the Isle. Oh, sorry, he was a Yank.

Messages In This Thread
UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- GREEN HILLS SCHOOL OF ENGLISH -- 2004-09-22
Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- Pro sensei Tokyo -- 2004-09-23
Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- GREEN HILLS SCHOOL OF ENGLISH -- 2004-09-23
Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-09-23
Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- Dos -- 2004-09-23